Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Best of 2011 - Travel

2011 is indeed another year to remember when it comes to travel. I will recall all the places that I had been visited last year, in brief.

1. CamSur

Every February, we have this international conference organized by a Catholic charismatic group that I'm attending every year since 2008. The first one I attended was in 2008 at Clark Field, Pampanga; Cebu the following year; and last year in CamSur. (I skipped in 2010 in Davao due to money matters)

As we had this pre-conference activity held in Naga City, I was able to visit some of the Churches in the city. One of them is the Basilica of Our Lady of Peñafrancia.

I also checked out the Panicuason Hot Springs, located at the outskirts of Naga City. You will experience different temperatures of their hot springs ranging from 35-41 degrees Celsius. Entrance fee per person is P200.


After the pre-conference activity, we went ahead to CamSur Watersports Complex, located inside the Provincial Capitol Complex in Pili. Before the conference proper even started, me and my friends were able to try their wakeboarding facilities. Since it's our first time to try it, we were told to kneel on the board since we are not really used to stand  on the board. Other than wakeboarding, we were not able to check out and try other facilities as some other delegates of the conference are also interested on these facilities inside CWC and we are really focused on the conference. You may click on the above link for more details on CWC.


I would recommend trying some of Naga's specialties, like Pancit Bato, Kinalas, Crispy Siopao, and of course their sweet Pili Tarts. 


Naga Airport
My ticket going to Naga

Naga's specialty, Kinalas

Altar of the Peñafrancia

It's too hot at Panicuason Hot Springs

Ready to wakeboard (or kneeboard) at CamSur Watersports Complex

At Naga City Market buying some pasalubong

2. Albay

After our conference ended, some of my friends who has a flight back to Manila the following day stayed overnight in Naga and we are planning to go to Albay for a side trip, specifically in Lingñon Hill and Mayon Volcano. As always, we were excited visiting these landmarks in Albay.

Going towards the top of Lingñon Hill is very steep and once you got at the top, you will see the farther view of Mayon Volcano.


We also visited Our Lady of the Gate Church (Nuestra Señora de la Porteria) or more commonly known as Daraga Church.


Our last stop in Albay is of course at Cagsawa Ruins, where you will see Mayon Volcano even closer and the remains of the Cagsawa Church is seen there.


Signage going to the Tunnel

View from the Mayon Volcano at Lingñon Hill

Our Lady of the Gate or Nuestra Señora de la Porteria (or more popularly Daraga Church)

Cagsawa Ruins

3. Pandi, Bulacan

Why did I mention Pandi, Bulacan on this blog? Its because on that town you will find one of the "biggest" waterparks in the name of Amana Waterpark

My sister had their "Family Day" arranged by their company and asked me if I will drive for my family going to Amana, which I agreed, instead of riding at the charted buses provided by the company. 

Going to the waterpark may be misleading because the location seems to be hidden, but thanks to the map that my sister provided to me and the directions we were encountering along the way is a smooth breeze going there. 

Since it was summer season when we went there, as expected, there were too many people already inside the waterpark, even vehicles as well. As we went inside the waterpark, you will see so many cartoon characters and superheroes that are constructed inside. Avatar, Thor, Superman, Batman, you name it! Of course there is the big giant pool that can create big waves. 


A sight of the big pool with waves

It's Thor at the waterpark

With Batman behind me

Even The Thing is also here


4. Lucban, Quezon 

Every month of May, the town of Lucban in Quezon is celebrating their Pahiyas Festival in honor of Saint Isidore The Laborer, the patron saint for farmers. The people here is offering to Saint Isidore by decorating their houses of what they have harvested from the rice fields, vegetables, and the like. Even I was young, I am able to go to Lucban for the Pahiyas since I was living in nearby Lucena City.


This time around, I invited some of my friends especially to those who are yet to experience the festival. At the time we went on the day of the feast itself which is on May 15, it was sunny and hot. Despite that condition, we enjoyed seeing the houses colorfully decorated.


After roaming the streets of Lucban all day, by night, we went to Kamayan sa Palaisdaan Restaurant just outside Lucban. You will find the freshest fishes cooked in different ways, the best grill, highly recommended. The way of eating there is by your own hand (unless you want to use utensils, upon request). I tell you, the food is the best!
A colorful decorated house

With my friends

A decorated house

Parading a carabao

The house that won Grand Prize

Look up, it's superman, haha!

After the festival, we ate @ Kamayan sa Palaisdaan

Entance to Kamayan sa Palaisdaan

Popular personalities that had visited the restaurant

Nipa Huts as the dining area floating on the fishpond

5. Pangasinan


I went to Pangasinan (more specifically in Dagupan City, Calasiao, and Manaoag) to attend a regional conference for our Catholic charismatic group for three days. As always, due to the conference, I was not able to roam or even sneak some places that are worth visiting, although I bought some puto, one of the specialties in Calasiao. When it comes to food, I recommend the food from "Jam Sweet Jam" for their very good food and they were the food provider of the conference I attended.


After the 3-day conference, I went to Manaoag for a visit to the Shrine of Our Lady of Rosary of Manaoag and offered some prayers.


Welcome sign of Dagupan City


Jeepney going to Calasiao-Dagupan and v.v.
 

The best food from Jam Sweet Jam


Puto Calasiao


Row of puto stores in Calasiao


Sign going to Manoag



Outside the Shrine

Offered prayers to Our Lady of Manaoag

6. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia


It's more memorable when we went to Kuala Lumpur along with my sister and my mommy. And it's my first overseas trip of my life. KL might be quite similar to Manila, but the experience is a blast! You may visit below links for my blog entries and some pictures. 


Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4



7. Tagaytay-Nuvali Trip


Like Lucban, Quezon, I've been visiting Tagaytay so many times. But this time around, my friends decided to visit Sonya's Garden, located in Alfonso, Cavite. (a few minutes drive from Tagaytay). After visiting the Pink Sisters' convent to offer some prayers, we just want to check out the place and see what's inside. Since it's has a restaurant, spa, and bakery, the staff of Sonya's are asking us if we will eat there after our photo-op, but we decided to eat in Leslie's instead because of the price of their eat-all-you-can rate that costs P610 net per person, which is too steep for us, unfortunately. (if we only have lots of money, hehe)

After our lunch at Leslie's, we went to People's Park in the Sky, which is incidentally my first time to go there. In my previous visits in Tagaytay, I usually go to Picnic Grove. When we arrived at the park, thick fog was evident along with scattered rains. In that place you find the PAGASA Tagaytay station and a building said to be the Rest House of the Marcoses (according to my friend) that is underutilized and occupied by store vendors. You can also see the sight of Taal Volcano from there although thick fog prevented us to see the volcano.


After our visit to the park, we decided to go to Nuvali in Sta. Rosa. Along the way, we stopped first at Rowena's to buy some "pasalubong." If you are in Rowena's, their specialty is their tarts that is not too sweet, it tastes just right at your taste buds.


As we arrive in Nuvali, one thing that I remember is Bonifacio High Street. They are somewhat similiar, open area, outdoor hangout, almost the same as High Street, except that Nuvali has a man-made lake. You can have a boat ride there and feed some fishes. Also, you can also rent a bike and use it within Nuvali. Unfortunately for us, we were not able to have a boat ride because when we inquired for tickets, it's already past 5:00 pm, which is the end of selling tickets for the boat ride, as well as bike rentals (P30 each person for boat ride and P60/hour for bike rental). Still, we enjoyed our stay in Nuvali. The place has too many spaces and it's still under development, still, Nuvali has the poise of becoming the "High Street" of the south.


At Pink Sisters' Convent with friends

At Sonya's Garden

View of Taal Volcano

Entrance to People's Park in the Sky

Christmas Tree made of tires @ Nuvali

Boat Ride @ Solenad, Nuvali

Nuvali Sta. Rosa

These places that I visited for 2011 has been all memorable and enjoyable for me. Hopefully this year, I will go to many more places that I have yet to visit, and visit again some places that I previously visited. Hopefully you enjoy my travel adventures for 2011 and see you all soon! God bless you all!

(If you want to see all the pics that I had been visited, please see my facebook profile.)

3 comments:

Pinay Travel Junkie said...

What an awesome year it's been! Wish I could attend the Pahiyas someday. It's really been a long time dream of mine. More adventures for 2012!

myas110 said...

thanks for the complement =)

Via said...

Good day! I am Via Magtoto of Island Weddings Magazine. We are currently working on an article about some of the historical churches in Bicol. One of the churches to be featured is the CHURCH OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA PORTERIA (Our Lady of the Gate), in DARAGA, ALBAY. We would like to ask for your permission to use this photo (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0634WC-4NgM/Two_8Jh6jsI/AAAAAAAAARk/NA_KVXEPYds/s320/DSC01215.JPG) for our magazine. The photo will be credited to you.

Thank you very much and we hope to hear from you!